Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Finally and Welcome!



Excel could not completely load your data due to its size.
After becoming a silent reader for all these times, I decided to create my own blog. I created this blog in order to share my knowledge in Python programming language, especially for data structuring, data analysis, data visualization, research, and science. I have used the language for almost 2 years (as of the first writing of this blog, thus, I am not an experienced or master in Python programming language). I found Python programming language is extremely useful, especially if you are encountering the following issue as I did (please see the image above).

And here are several other reasons that encouraged me to learn Python.

Apply the same formula to a lot of cells makes Excel stop working. What a nightmare!

Last but not least, I often times found myself in a very repetitive, boring, laborious, and manual works.

I am not an Excel savvy. Therefore, lot of you would probably say that I could use macro or any other features in Excel that might be useful to fulfill my needs. Well, personally I would say that Python is more readable than the so-called macro in Excel or whatever it is. Hence, writing codes in Python (for me personally) is easier and more fun.

Probably everyone has their own reasons to start learning a programming language. However, for me the above reasons were my reasons why I started to learn Python in the first place.I am not going through the basic of Python, you could find a lot of websites and online courses to learn the basic of Python.

My personal recommendation is Python For Everybody from University of Michigan (Dr. Chuck did a marvelous job to introduce the basic of Python). You could find the course in Coursera. However, you could also get the basic Python knowledge and course from various other sources.


Welcome!

As aforementioned, I would not go through the basic of Python. So why am I writing this blog? Well, first of all, it is for my personal notes. Often times, I tried so hard to dig in my memory to find the right syntax or to find the right expression of writing the code to solve a certain problem that I have actually already solved in the past. Therefore, I think that by writing my own blog it will be useful even for myself, for my personal notes.
Second of all, I would like to share my knowledge as a practitioner in data science and data automation. Worth to note that (again) I am not an expert nor developer, thus, I will not accept any request to write a certain program. I am just going to share what problem that I was facing and share it with you guys the solution. Hopefully, people that are facing the same issue could find the answer right away within this blog. So please do keep that in mind. Nonetheless, I welcome you to criticize my code.


The topic for my next blog will be how to measure object's dimension using any camera (smartphone, feature phone, or webcam) and Python. This is one of my favorites. Here is the example of the output of the program.




P.S.

I am updating the blog every two weeks, during my free time (I have a family that I need to take care of.) My approach of writing this blog is based on the real world problems that I faced and I have already found the solution with the help from Python. Since I am a practical data scientist, I am using the following libraries to work along in Python.


The libraries that I use the most for my daily work.

So please do expect that we are going only to talk about these libraries. Well, that is it for the introduction. See you guys next week! Looking forward to sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment